The texture of this fresh shredded salad is just heavenly – all kinds of crunchy vegetable and nuts with some added sweet chewiness from the dried mango. It all comes together with a zippy peanut dressing, added right before serving. An absolute winner for the summer months!
Special thanks to Ilse van der Merwe from The Food Fox for developing this recipe.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup smooth plain peanut butter
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons honey)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh ginger, finely grated
- Use a whisk and mix to a smooth consistency.
For the salad:
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded to make 3-4 cups (use a mandolin cutter or vegetable peeler)
- 1 large carrot, roughly grated
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup Montagu coconut shavings
- 1/3 cup Montagu roasted peanuts
- 100 g Montagu dried mango, cut into strips (use kitchen scissors)
- a handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1-2 small red chillies, finely sliced (optional)
- Toss all the ingredients together with the coriander and mango on top, and serve with the dressing on the side for guests to help themselves (the salad will start to wilt slightly when it comes into contact with the dressing.)
Serves 4 – 6 as a light meal. Enjoy!