Made in 1 hour, devoured in 1 minute 🙂
These Orange and Date Samoosas are the perfect sweet for the fasting period or a delicious treat all-year round.
- 150 g Montagu dates, chopped
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 375 ml orange juice
- 100 g Montagu pecan nuts
- 180 – 200 ml melted butter
- 14 sheets phyllo pastry
- Place the dates, cardamom pops, star anise, cinnamon, orange juice and zest into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer until thick.
- Remove cardamom, star anise and cinnamon. Leave to cool.
- Cut the phyllo pastry sheets into 5 strips across the width. You should have 70 strips – approx 7-8cm x 36 cm.
- Brush a strip with butter and then place another strip on top.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of the filling at the top. Fold over to form a triangle. Continue folding over to form a samoosa.
- Place on a greased baking tray and brush with more butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C or until golden.
- Sprinkle with castor sugar.
Makes 35. Enjoy!