Special thanks to Ilse van der Merwe from The Food Fox for developing this recipe.
These delicious snack bars contain no added sugar or oil and is made with sesame seeds, flaked almonds, banana chips (great texture) oats, coconut and pureed dates with peanut butter.
If you don’t like peanut butter, use any other nut butter of your choice (like almond or macadamia). Keep them in the fridge in a closed container to retain their firmness.
They are sweet and chewy, perfect for an energising road trip snack, or even a pre-exercise snack (also easy to pack for hikes, picnics and fishing trips).
The secret lies in really compacting the mixture with a rolling pin, otherwise they’ll crumble easily. Note: If you prefer a crispier snack bar, bake the bars for 12-15 minutes at 200 C, let them cool completely, then store in an air tight container.
(makes about 24)
- 250 g Montagu dried pitted dates
- 500 ml just-boiled water
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 100 g Montagu dried banana chips
- 2 cups (500 ml) oats
- 100 g Montagu flaked almonds
- 100 g Montagu sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Place the dates in a mixing bowl with the boiling water and let it soak for 15-30 minutes. Drain, then place in a blender with the peanut butter, vanilla and salt. Blend to a relatively smooth pulp, scraping down the sides. Set aside.
- In a food processor, coarsely chop the banana chips. Place these in a mixing bowl with the oats, almonds, sesame and coconut. Add the date paste and mix well until you have a sticky, crumbly mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow, lined baking tray of about 23 x 23 cm. Press it out evenly to cover the full surface, then cover with a piece of baking paper and use a rolling pin to flatten and compress it smoothly. Applying pressure really helps.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or place in the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting into bars. Store in the fridge (it will keep for at least 2 weeks). Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
- For crispier bars, preheat oven to 200 C.
- Arrange the cut bars on a lined baking tray, then bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Let it cool to room temperature before storing in an air tight container on the shelf.