Special thanks to Ilse van der Merwe from The Food Fox for developing this recipe.
This beautifully festive trifle looks fantastic, but it requires very little effort because most ofthe ingredients are store-bought. The recipe is a combination of a traditional trifle, a peppermint crisp tart and a tiramisu. Have you ever heard of a better combo? Neither have we!
Note: You can also assemble these ingredients in one large glass bowl instead of 6 individual servings. Pack as many layers as you want!
Tip: You can assemble these a day in advance (cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate), just leave the final meringues, cherries and nuts for adding just before serving.
- 100 g Montagu roasted salted macadamia nuts
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 1 can caramel treat
- 1 standard jam swiss roll, sliced
- 200 ml strong coffee
- 25ml whiskey about
- 30 small vanilla meringues (store bought)
- 125 g fresh cherries (or other berries of your choice)
- Toast the nuts in a dry pan until golden brown, then transfer to a wooden board and chop roughly. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the cream until just stiff (do not overwhisk). Add the caramel, then whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the coffee and whiskey, then set aside.
- Now you are ready to assemble: Place a slice of swiss roll in the bottom ofan individual glass dessert bowl. Top with 2-3 tablespoons coffee mixture, then with some chopped nuts and 2 small meringues. Top with the whipped caramel mixture, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap, then add more crisp meringues, toasted nuts and fresh cherries.
Tip: Add a sprinkling of edible gold dust or gold leaf for dramatic festive flair (optional).