Special thanks to Ilse van der Merwe from The Food Fox for developing this recipe.
A creamy potato bake wins everybody’s vote at a braai. Why not substitute the usual bacon bits for thick biltong slices?
Remember to use mature cheddar – it has so much flavour and works incredibly well with the biltong. Some chopped nuts add crunch and fabulous flavour. Check out the recipe as well as a step by step video clip below.
- 8 medium-large potatoes
- salt & pepper
- 200 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 x 80 g Montagu sliced biltong (chilli flavour or plain)
- 500 ml fresh cream
- 1/2 cup mixed roasted nuts, chopped
- a handful fresh chives, finely chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 25-30 minutes until just tender.
- Drain the water and leave the potatoes to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Cut each potato into 1 cm thick slices. Arrange the slices on their cut sides in a single layer in a medium-large ovenproof baking dish (about 23 x 23 x 5 cm), then season with salt & pepper and cover with a third of the cheese and biltong slices.
- Pour a third of the cream all over the layer, then continue to layer two more layers of the potatoes, seasoning, cheese, biltong and cream.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then sprinkle with the chopped nuts and continue to bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, as a side dish at your braai.
Serves 6 as a side dish. Enjoy!