We are extremely proud of the successful partnership we have been able to foster with the Capability Initiative, otherwise known as CAP!
What is CAP?
Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts has partnered with the Community Action Partnership (CAP). This unique initiative trains and employs people living with disabilities to assist in the production and packing of innovative dried fruit and nut products.
The CAP workshop currently operates with 33 packers, all of whom are living with a disability.
“Thirty-three packers, most of them still young, earn a living and experience a sense of belonging and self-worth in this way,” says Montagu’s sales director De Wet van Rooyen.
How CAP supports them:
- Individuals are able to earn a sustainable income.
- They become skilled in food processing, quality control and food hygiene.
- They experience a sense of belonging and self-worth.
- Differently-abled people have an opportunity to join the mainstream economy.
Successes and highlights:
- Being part of this initiative has helped shift the focus from disability to ability.
- The partnership between Montagu as a profit-driven company and an NGO like CAP serves as a model for other NGO’s who want to rid themselves of a mentality relying on hand-outs.
- Profit from the Montagu-partnership has already added more than half a million rand to Montagu’s
“We have a lot of individual success stories,” says CAP co-founder Herman Smit, ”but the biggest success story is seeing people evolve from being totally shy and introverted into individuals who are proud of their work, who have started to dream and to believe in themselves again.”
The future is bright
- Special CAP products – like the popular Montasatie dried fruit skewer – were added to Montagu’s range and more surprises will be reaching all of Montagu’s 138 franchised outlets in time for Christmas.
- Purchasing them will directly benefit the CAP initiative in the form of constant workflow for their employees.
Be sure to look out for these exciting (and delicious) dried fruit and nut products at your nearest store.
Now you know that adding some to your shopping cart makes a big difference to those who made them!
Find your nearest store here.