February is Macadamia Nut Month!
So, if you’re looking for the perfect excuse to munch on healthy snacks (especially if you’re still sticking to your healthy New Year resolutions), macadamia nuts are your new favourite nibbles.
This month, we’re encouraging all our readers who are trying to support a healthier lifestyle to add macadamia nuts to their diets. And here’s why…
Firstly, what are Macadamia Nuts?
Macadamia nuts are indigenous to the Australian rainforest, but are also found in tropical and subtropical areas of South Africa, Brazil, Hawaii and Central America.
The macadamia nut industry is the fastest growing tree crop industry in South Africa, exporting more than 95% of its annual harvest and production to international markets. Also known as the bush nut among locals, more and more people are discovering the health benefits of macadamia nuts as part of a healthier lifestyle.
Macadamia Nuts and the South African Economy
These nuts aren’t just delicious and healthy, they’re supporting the local economy too.
It has been estimated by SAMAC (South African Macadamia Grower’s Association) that 7,150 permanent job opportunities have been created on macadamia farms.
Health Benefits of Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fats which are very good for our tickers.
Monounsaturated fats in a diet help lower total and LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and increase HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) levels, which have been shown to protect us from coronary artery disease.
Good for the waistline
Macadamia nuts have also been shown to play a role in fat metabolism and the reduction of stored body fat.
Here are a few other health benefits of macadamia nuts:
- Macadamia nuts contain MUFs, the healthy fats that protect the heart and reduce bad cholesterol levels.
- Macadamia nuts contain essential nutrients like protein, antioxidants and potassium. These nutrients have been known to promote healthy hair, skin and nails.
- Macadamia nuts contain manganese which has been known to help strengthen bones and teeth as people age.
- Macadamia nuts have also been shown to aid digestion, as they contain high levels of dietary fiber.
- Since macadamia nuts contain omega-3 fatty acids, macadamia nuts have been known to help the body fight inflammation and chronic disease.
Macadamia Nuts and a Healthy Lifestyle
By including macadamia nuts in your diet, you’re supporting a healthier lifestyle, especially if you’re trying to cut out high-fat foods.
Macadamia nuts are naturally sweet so you can stay on track while satisfying your sweet craving… Winning!
Here are a few ways to include macadamia nuts in your diet:
- Use them in a variety of baked goods such as biscuits and cakes
- Use macadamia nut butter to prepare salad dressings, sandwiches and sauces
- Use macadamia oil as a cooking oil and/or dressing when you prepare seafood, meat and veggie dishes
If you seek to achieve a healthier lifestyle, then macadamia nuts are the perfect addition to your diet.
Can’t wait to try them?
Stock up on our premium selection of top quality macadamia nut products at your nearest Montagu store.
Products in store:
- ButtaNutt Macadamia Nut Butter
- Macadamia nuts – plain
- Macadamia nuts – roasted and salted