Here at Montagu, we care about your boss’s bottom line: YOU!
You’re now well into the new year, work is in full-swing, and that means there’s more pressure to plan and pack healthy lunches that will keep you going throughout the day.
Studies have shown that our energy is more sustainable when we eat smaller, more frequent meals during the day. But you know how it is…
When you’re on the go at work or between meetings, time flies in the blink of an eye. And before you know it, it’s past lunch time and you’ve simply forgotten to eat.
Spikes and slumps
A quick sugar or salty fix or that extra cup of coffee might help see you through until home time, but after a while you’re going to start feeling the effects of bad eating habits during the day:
- impaired concentration
- low energy levels
- low productivity
Eating properly during the day is what will help you stay ahead.
Even if you have fast-paced days at work and can’t always step away for a full lunch break, it is possible to eat healthily at your desk.
3 reasons why you should snack on healthy foods during the day:
- They keep your blood sugar levels constant
- They keep your brain alert and active
- They help you avoid the mid-afternoon energy slump
3 great options for healthy snacking:
- Plain low-fat yoghurt, raw seeds and honey
- A banana
- A handful of nuts (preferably unsalted)
3 ways to help you do it:
- Make time to eat – set an alarm, calendar reminder, anything to force you to take a break
- Pack your own lunch – put thought into what you’re going to eat, plan ahead and pack the night before
- Choose the right snacks – choose snacks with long-lasting energy, like dried fruit, nuts, lean biltong and drink plenty of water
With such a big variety of dried fruit and nuts out there, there’s no reason to get bored with your daytime snacks. Simply visit your nearest Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts store to see what’s available. There are so many quick and easy (and fun) snacks that you can put together using dried fruit, nuts and seeds, so visit our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for more tips and information.
Read more about healthy snacking at your desk here.