It’s time to go mad for mangoes!
What would summer be without a delicious mango or two or three? Fresh or dried, everyone agrees, mangoes are delicious. In fact, they’re often the ‘favourite’ in the dried fruit bowl too, right?
If you are on the run during a busy work day, dried mangoes are a quick and convenient snack to keep in your handbag or cubby hole. They’re usually also a preferred energy booster to processed foods.
Dried mangoes are healthy… but in moderation
Even though dried mangoes are healthy, always make sure you check your portions sizes. As good as they are, dried mangoes are high in natural sugars. The calories and carbohydrates in dried mangoes are much more concentrated than in fresh mangoes. One-third of a cup of dried mango contains 160 calories, most of which consist of carbohydrates. This is why dried mangoes are a good source of energy that provide your body with fuel for your daily tasks.
Health Benefits of Mango
- Mangoes support heart health: A high intake of fruits and vegetables contribute to heart health by reducing the risk of coronary heart disease and cancer.
- Mangoes make a great low GI snack: Dried mango has a low glycemic index (GI value). Low GI foods, when eaten regularly in moderate portions at a time, generally provide a slow release of energy, improve blood glucose control, help you feel fuller for longer and may decrease the risk of some diseases in the long term.
- Mangoes are high in dietary fibre: Dried mangoes are high in dietary fibre. The soluble dietary fibre in the mango plays a role in glucose absorption and maintaining a healthy blood cholesterol level, while the insoluble dietary fibre helps to keep the gut healthy and contributes to regular laxation, thereby helping help to treat constipation.
- Mangoes are a source of copper: As a source of copper, mangoes contribute to the normal functioning of the immune system and the normal maintenance of bones, teeth, hair, skin and nails.
- Mangoes help reduce blood pressure: Diets containing foods that naturally contain at least 350 mg potassium per serving and which are low in sodium, such as dried mangoes, may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
Get great prices on mango at our Sweet Summer Sale!
Dried mango makes a lekker snack for kiddies’ snackboxes and office lunchboxes. And at these prices, it’s no wonder why!
- R29.90 for 100g (save R9)
- R69.90 for 250g (save R24)
- R139.90 for 500g (save R39)
Offer valid while stocks last. Find your nearest store here.