At Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts we are committed to using only sustainably-sourced palm oil to roast our premium quality nuts.
Why? Because We Care about people, animals and our environment.
What is sustainable palm oil?
Basically, sustainable palm oil is palm oil that has been sourced in a sustainable manner.
GreenPalm defines certified sustainable palm oil (CSPO) and palm kernel oil (CSPKO) as produced by palm oil plantations which have been independently audited and certified against the RSPO – Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil standard.
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil was founded in 2004 to promote awareness of the sustainable production and use of palm oil for people, the planet and prosperity.
Why is it important to use sustainable palm oil?
It is so important to know where our food comes from. Many consumers feel very strongly about sustainably-sourced food, and palm oil is no exception.
According to OneGreenPlanet, “there is no other vegetable oil on the planet that shows up in such a vast array of consumer goods, making consumers unknowingly complicit in horrific crimes against animals, people, and the environment.”
More and more consumers are discovering the ways in which palm oil production has harmed our environment (deforestation), animals (animal deaths), even people (human rights abuses).
Now, the RSPO has laid out bold guidelines to help reform and manage the palm oil industry. They do so by promoting transparency, fair labor, and strict environmental standards.
Facts about palm oil
- Palm oil is high in saturated fat. Just one tablespoon contains 55 percent of our RDA.
- About 300 football fields of forest are cleared each HOUR to make room for plantations.
- Orangutan populations have decreased by 50 percent in the last 10 years as a result of deforestation.
- Clearing one hectare of forest can release 6,000 tons of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere.
- The palm oil industry in Indonesia is responsible for about 5,000 land and human rights conflicts. Nearly 45 million people live in the forests of Indonesia.
- Only 35 percent of palm growers that are members of the RSPO are actually certified.
- Palm oil ranks among the U.S. Department of Labor’s top four worst industries for forced and child labor.
Montagu and Sustainable Palm Oil
These are the products that we roast ourselves with sustainable palm oil:
- Almonds Roasted & Salted
- Cashews Roasted & Salted
- Cashews Roasted, No Salt
- Cashews Peri-Peri Coated
- Cashews Lemon & Herb Coated
- Cashews Sweet Thai Chilli Coated
- Almond & Cashew Mix Roasted & Salted
- Mixed Nuts Roasted & Salted
- Mixed Nuts Roasted & Salted with Peanuts
- Blanched Peanuts Roasted & Salted
- Blanched Peanuts Roasted, No Salt (Tub)
- Blanched Peanuts Roasted, No Salt, with Raisins (Tub)
- Salted Peanuts & Raisins
- Peanuts Gone Wild